Smart Browser BIM Manager view in Revit toolbar:
List of Smart Browser functions:
- Smart Family Browser
- Project Browser
- Modify Families
- Run Modifications
- Update Families in Project
- Upgrade Families / Upgrade Projects
- Subcategory Location / Add Subcategories
- Add Shared parameters
- Transfer Family Units
The primary function is the 'Smart Family Browser'. With it, you can:
- Create your own or load an already existing family library
- Search, modify, and place families into a project easily and quickly.
- Group families by original folder, category, host, version, or unit system (families are listed in a tree structure).
- Overview of family types and parameters containing values.
- See all family 2D and 3D views (using DWFX) before inserting them into a project.
With a created library, you can do even more by utilizing other commands:
- Modify hundreds of selected families: add new parameters (including shared), copy parameters from one family to another, rename parameters, delete parameters, change values, add new types, delete types, rename types, and much more.
- Find differences between project families and families in the library.
In the main Smart Family Browser window, you will see a list of your libraries. Double-click a library to open it.
Note 1: The list will be empty when opened for the first time. Proceed to the 'Library Creation' post.
Note 2: When operating with multiple libraries, use 'Quick Search' to find a specific one.
When the library is opened, you will see all the families associated with it, and some new functions will become available. To use any family in the project, simply drag and drop it into the project space, and the selected family type will be loaded.
Here is a legend to understand the buttons and fields in the Smart Family Browser window.
1. Browser Options
2. Back. Click to return to the library list view.
3. Quick search. Search families by part of their name or parameter names present in the family.
4. Search. Expanded search. Search families by specific criteria.
5. Browser Organization. Select parameters and their order for viewing families in the library.
6. Library Tree. Select which group of families you want to view.
Once a family is selected in the library:
7. Family Type. View Types present in the family.
8. Parameters. View all the family’s parameters and their values.
9. Open Family. Opens the selected family in Revit.
10. Load Type. Load the selected Type into the project.
11. Select Types to Load. Select multiple Types to load into the project.
12. Load Selected Families. Load multiple selected families into the project.
13. Open Autodesk Design Review. Opens the family’s 3D DWF file if it was created during library creation.
More information on these functions can be found in the 'Using Library' article.
Right-click anywhere in the library space to view the additional menu:
View. Change how the families are represented: List, Thumbnails, Medium Thumbnails.
Open Family. Opens the selected Family.
Modify Families. Select single or multiple families to create a modification task for those.
Add Families to be Modified. Select single or multiple families, and add those to an already existing modification task file.